This blog is my own personal time travel into the past...

Tuesday 7 May 2013

 
 
THE UNTOUCHABLES OF INDIA
For our last History Club reunion, I gave a presentation on the Untouchables of India. I talked about the caste system which even continues in India today.
The Untouchables were people who did the worst jobs and they were called "untouchable" because people didn't want to touch or even look at them.
They were not allowed in temples or main towns or even to drink from the same well as other people.
 In my presentation, I am an Untouchable boy who works all day picking up rubbish. My father works in the sewers and my mother looks after my dying baby sister.
Unfortunately, these people are still treated badly even though it was forbidden in 1947.
Here are a few photos of some of the other presentations on ancient India and China.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment