This blog is my own personal time travel into the past...

Friday 26 October 2012

CRETE AND THE MINOANS

For my fourth History Club presentation I wanted to talk about the Minoans and the great eruption on the island of Thera (now known as Santorini) in 1645 BC.
I made a map of some of Greece, especially of the islands and Crete to show how the sea was a very important part of their culture. I talked about their ship building and the trade between islands and then about the volcano that ended up destroying their civilization over the next 50 years.
 It was a lot of fun making the islands out of modelling clay.
I drew the islands in pencil first from an atlas I have, then pushed up the middles to make the mountains. 
 Then I painted them with a dry sponge and then I put some "grass" on the tops of the mountains.
 This was the volcano with soda I made that we exploded with vinegar at the History Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment